Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 September 2020

So wrong it is write

  links to David M Howie BSc BA (Hons) PPE (open) 


This blog and its sister podcast have a triple bottom line - which is an academic way of saying there are three reasons for the blog/podcast. Reason one relates to my professional identity and how my lived experiences have shaped my professional identity. Reason two relays to the structure of society—specifically how the structure of society has given rise to institutions and social norms. Reason three relates to the written legislative laws hard and soft, which prevent thinking outside the social norms.

My professional identity

If it was not for the Applied professional practice (APP) module, I completed at Glasgow Caledonian University as part of my MSc. I don’t think I would have known I had a professional identity. Let alone consider my lived experiences a part of my professional identity. My disabilities do not limit my abilities (so I think), mainly because I have been living with disabilities since the age of four. I have attempted since the age of 18 to put my limitations on one side and live everyday life like a non-disabled person.

     Walking the path of a non-disabled person is difficult when there is a constant underlying thought that somehow I differ from my peers in several ways. Am not going to detail the differences, am sure they shall arise in other posts. I do, however, wish to flag that over the discourse of my political party membership and second academic run. It has been my objective to highlight the cost of inequalities pacifically for disabled people. The critical point APP stressed was that I have never stopped for reflection. My life has always been a debate between: ‘you cannot do that’, vs, ‘I can do that.’ Never have I considered, I can do that, ‘but just a little differently.’   

Why reflection is a strength  

Having had time to stop and reflect on the academic year 2019/20, I am a little disappointed both in myself but also in society. No one had ever sat me down and said look: (paraphrased) “Your lived experiences in this area make you a professional”. Still, you have to find a way of focusing your arguments within the confines of the social norms. The point I am making is our identities, how we see ourselves have a dependency on our experiences. It just so happens that living with the side effects of a childhood brain tumour means I perceive contemporary society differently, not necessary “wrong”.

structure of culture & social norms

My lived experiences and values shape my professional identity. However, the structure of society and the social and cultural norm within the society shaped and can reshape my professional identity. Understanding that argument may take some thinking. There is nothing new in the statement, though. It is an elementary political philosophy/public policy argument. The problem arises why the political philosophy of a state segregates its citizens.

     Consider this, as a five-year-old - I also make this point in the podcast -   my access to mainstream education had a question mark over it because I could not walk a plank- an upside-down bench. The Scottish education system has improved since the 80/90s, a good thing too, the fundamental point though is this. I could have walked that plank with an aid. The social model of disability suggests disabled people face isolation because of the design of society. I’m afraid I have to disagree with that thinking, disabled people. I think face segregation because of the structure of culture & social norms. Think about it. I could have walked that plank if a walking stick had been optional. Social and cultural norm segregate individuals when they are viewable as different or “wrong.”  

 

Written legislative laws

My lived experiences have clearly defined my thinking and my understanding of society. Anyone reading this post though should remember it is legislative laws which are the cornerstone for social norms. Consider my experiences as a five-year-old. A policy must have existed which stated a five-year-old that could not walk a plank unaided should not attend mainstream school. The same thinking applies to any other form of segregation. There will be a law which prevents integration. No matter how “wrong”,  a said legislative decree is, the social norm which comes from it has already shaped citizens thinking via social means. Two things, therefore, are required to change social norms. An act of parliament. And time. The problem we have as a society is we do not have time. COVID-19 and Brexit have and will continue to devastate our economy. As a society, we have to stop thinking disabled peoples thinking is “wrong” and embrace the diversity within our communities.       

What is next?

I am hoping to do several things with this blog/podcast. I shall try to write at least one blog a week based around a contemporary issue. I am hoping to link the blog with several charities which I have had the pleasure of working. I also want to integrate digital storytelling. Also, I am hoping this blog will be the start of an interactive platform which collaborates across political parties, charities, cultures and communities. 

Podcast 

Here I will link the last three episodes of the podcast (click on the name)

episode 1             Personal and Professional identity (27 September)
episode 1 part II Personal and professional development part II (28 September)
episode 2            Build Back Better? (7/10/2020) 

podcast every Wednesday          


 links to David M Howie BSc BA (Hons) PPE (open)






  

No comments:

Post a Comment